Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Book #6



I remember trying to read this book in high school and getting distracted or something. For whatever reason I returned it to the library having barely ever cracked open the cover. But since I've been on a YA kick lately I'd really focused recently on a list from Bitch Magazine which named 100 YA books for the Feminist Reader. Sloppy Firsts is #58. Amazon had a great deal on all five books in the series and bam, here we are.

I'll admit it took me a while to get into this one. But that's probably less of the book's fault and more of my special brand of April malaise that creeps in every few weeks. For a while I seriously wondered why it was on tons of lists of the best of the best of YA lit. And then I realized as I got to know her it's because Jessica Darling is a complete gem of a character even if the plot is slow going. I'm looking forward to book #2.

Favorite quotes:

"You can only be in a bad mood for so long before you have to face up to the fact that it isn't a bad mood at all; it's just your sucky personality."

"Girls will get together just to get together. Guys need an activity as an excuse. Otherwise it’s too homo for them to handle."

No comments: