Monday, February 21, 2011

Book #8



I have a slight fascination with polygamist Mormons. Big Love, Sister Wives, Oprah or Dateline exposes on the Jessop clan. I'm there. When I saw this book on a bestseller list it immediately appealed to me. I mean, obviously.

It's with great sadness that I admit I didn't love it. It was okay. Not great. Not horrible. Just okay. And so freakin' long. After 400 pages I was really ready for the story to wrap up. 600 pages was seriously pushing it.

So there we have it, my first meh book on my quest to 52 in 2011.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Have you read "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer? Fascinating (but very dark) non-fiction book about two polygamist Mormon brothers who murdered their sister-in-law and niece in what they believed was a holy mission.

There's also all kinds of history on polygamy and the Mormons in general. I highly recommend it. If your library doesn't have it, I can loan it to you.

April said...

No, but it's been on my to-read list for a very long time. I'll have to see if my library has it, if not I'm totally hitting you up for a loan.

Karen said...

I'm also happy to loan it if you just don't wanna deal with library due dates and fines. It's just sitting on my shelf for now. Let me know!

I share your obsession with the Mormons (especially the extreme polygamist sects), so I think you'll really like it.