Friday, February 12, 2010

Family History

My mom's been researching her side of the family. We've long had questions surrounding the death of her maternal grandfather and tonight we found a death certificate.

The notable info:

Name: James Ewing Wilder
Born: May 8, 1906
Died: December 11, 1943 in Harlan County, KY
Married: Rebecca Wilder
Father: Sam Wilder
Mother: Catherine El do
Cause of death: fractured skull, internal hemorrhage (brain), shock, all due to a slate fall in the coal mine he was working in that day
Buried: Brownies Creek, KY

The last night my grandma talked to us we sat on our front porch and discussed the deaths of her brothers. I wanted to hear more about her dad the next day, I knew he died in the coal mines when she was 9, but I didn't know details about him. Unfortunately she went to bed that evening and was never coherent again.

For whatever silly reason this information about her Dad was comforting.

1 comment:

SassyCassie said...

I don't really know what to say but wow. That's neat.