Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Yesterday

Riley visited while my Dad fixed something on her Mama's car.

riley

riley

Jonathan and Riley are buddies.

riley

She loves Jon.

riley

Jack loves everyone.

riley

Mamaw visited as well with my aunt. Mamaw has dementia. About once a week in the last month she's lived with my dad's sister she visits on Mondays because she gets upset about things and wants to see my dad.

riley

I haven't really talked a lot about Mamaw around here because it's a complicated story. A story that begins 2 years ago when she had her stroke, picks up again a month ago when her caregiver (my other aunt) was hospitalized for whatever it was (the extended family still has no idea.) Mamaw is angry about a lot of things, one of which is a financial situation in which she was taken advantage of. And on top of it, she isn't herself anymore. At least not the way she used to be.

Ultimately all I know is this: one day you are Riley, carefree with blocks and bubbles. The next day you're Mamaw, older, angry and lacking any will to live. I often hear that growing old is a gift, and I'm sure that's partly right. But sometimes I wish we could all just check out at our peak and be done with it.

No comments: