Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Lettuce Appreciation Post

garden

I was reading a blog post this weekend that listed the most profitable plants to grow in your garden. I noticed that several of the plants were salad mixes, arugula and herbs. I couldn't agree more. I just started growing lettuce last year and found it quickly became one of my must-haves in the garden. The upkeep is low. And organic in the backyard vs. organic in the store makes a huge difference in price. It's easy to say one big dinner salad and the plants paid for themselves. The dozens of other salads since then have been money in the bank.

A lot of varieties bolt once the temperatures get too high but I'm already researching ways to keep my bed going well into summer with various warm weather varieties and shading methods. And in the fall my favorite varieties (buttercrunch, green leaf, black seeded simpson) will definitely return to my garden.

garden

garden

What I love about gardening (a bonus story): My brother, who has long had a serious aversion to iceberg lettuce, wanted lunch the other day. Fed up with his options inside the house he took a colander outside and picked a variety of lettuce and spinach. I watched him come inside, rinse, and then fix his favorite salad. Yesterday I caught him snacking on peas fresh out of the pod on the back patio. Having good, nutritious, organic produce right outside of your door is such an awesome thing. Watching a kid who is somewhat known for his serious addiction to chips and junk food take the initiative to enjoy it is even cooler.

No comments: