Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Spirit

I often neglect this blog when I have lots of other things going on but I'm back now. I've spent the last two weeks nursing my poor mother back to health after she contracted MRSA. (Right? Crazy? It totally was.) It's been an ordeal. I'm trying to re-discover the Christmas spirit this week before the holidays begin this weekend.

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
Hot Chocolate. Though I try every year to be an egg nog kind of person.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? When Santa was still visiting my house he just sat out the presents. Often assembled and ready to play. My parents bought tons of presents each year so it was always a living room FULL of toys. In retrospect this is a bit ridiculous but at the time? SO MAGICAL. Now I wrap everything. I love unwrapping gifts.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? - I like white lights for the most part.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? - Nope.

5. When do you put your decorations up? - Thanksgiving weekend. Thought this year it seems there are still boxes full of things to put out. Oh well.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? - Ham and hashbrown casserole. Christmas is all about the cheesy potatoes for me. And homemade Chex Mix.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? - In 1994 we brought my brother home from the hospital on Christmas Eve to a house full of well wishers. My entire extended family came over and brought Christmas dinner and presents. He was truly the best Christmas gift ever. I'm so thankful to have a sibling.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? - I was around 8 or 9 I think. I had it figured out for a while but I didn't want the magic to stop.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? - Yes. My dad grew up opening every single one of his presents on Christmas Eve so my parents compromised their traditions by allowing for a few presents to be opened the night before. My dad still lobbies each year for us to open all of them on Christmas Eve though. He's never gotten his way.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? - It really depends. Some years we do white lights, others multi-colored. Mostly it's sentimental ornaments but I've done fancy trees in the past too.

11. Snow! love it or dread it? - Let's be honest, I don't love winter and I don't really look forward to ice or snow. I don't mind a snow day but I hate when it's slippery and I have to actually leave the house.

12. Can you ice skate? - I would never even attempt such nonsense. I can't stand ice.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? - My brother totally counts, right? Other than that goober I really enjoyed my barbie convertible power wheels car and a kitchen set.

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? - Having the time after a long year for relaxation and reflection.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? - I'm constantly switching things up and rarely make the same things two years in a row so I really don't know that I have a favorite.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? - Baking and movie watching.

17. What tops your tree? - A bow.

18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? - Both. Of course I love giving. But c'mon, who doesn't love being on the receiving end of the perfect gift?

19. Candy canes: yuck or yum? - Double yum. Peppermint is one of my favorite flavors.

20. Favorite Christmas movie? - Christmas Vacation. At last count we've watched it four times this season. I am Clark Griswold.
Ellen: You set standards that no family activity can live up to.
Clark: When have I ever done that?
Ellen: Birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, funerals, holidays, vacations, graduations...
21. Saddest Christmas song? - "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" -- preferably the Judy Garland version from Meet Me in St. Louis. This song has made me ugly cry. Not even kidding.

22. What is your favorite Christmas song? - See the aforementioned. It's perfect.

Christmas Card 2011
this year's Christmas card

1 comment:

Savannah said...

Yikes! I hope your Mom is recovering well - how scary!! Love that you answered this Q&A. You truly received one of the best gifts ever when your brother was born!