Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

I woke up planning to make Ina Garten's chicken pot pie, which I've heard from many credible sources is amazing.

But sometime this afternoon I found another recipe, from an old Marshall Field's cookbook. It seemed a little less intense, so ended up kind of merging the two basic ideas in my brain and coming up with a version of my own.

Ingredients
*a refrigerated pie crust (because I do not own a food processor and I'm not about to cut butter into flour by myself unless forced to)
*mixed veggies of your choosing (I'm not picky, if you like a can use a can, if you like frozen use frozen, if you like fresh, go with that. I used a mixture of can and fresh.)
*1 whole stick of butter
*1 small onion, chopped pretty fine
*1/2 cup of flour
*1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
*2 1/2 cups of chicken stock/broth (I added 4 bullion cubes to the water I pressure cooked my chicken in)
*1 pound of chicken (you could roast like Ina does, or pressure cook as I did, or pull some off of a store bought rotisserie)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Melt stick of butter in a deep saute pan, add onions and cook until translucent. Add flour, wisk together and allow to cook for at least 1 minute (must cook off the taste of flour), then add chicken stock/broth, stir. Add cream and allow mixture to thicken. Turn heat to low, stir in chicken and veggies of your choosing. Pour this mixture into an unbaked pie crust, top with another crust and bake at 425 for 35-40 minutes, until bubbly.

Pot Pie 001

This is not light cooking, and in retrospect I feel somewhat guilty about the butter and cream. But it was seriously perfect, easy and comforting.

2 comments:

Expressions By Devin said...

This looks really yummy:0)

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely perfect...makes my mouth water...lol!