Thursday, April 9, 2009

Funny Math

4 vehicles.

3 drivers.

1 working truck.

It doesn't quite add up, does it?

I told my Mom to buy a Honda Odyssey because all you ever hear is how amazing Hondas are.

Her transmission went out this weekend. Something that happens to almost all Odysseys. Now mind you, I understand cars don't last forever before things break down. My first car was an 89 Toyota Corolla, and its transmission went out...when it was 13 years old and had a gazillion miles on it.

So pardon me if I think a 6 year old vehicle with 70,000 miles on it should not have a transmission problem.

The good news is that sometimes Honda pays for 50% or more of the cost of the repair out of 'good will'. I called and got a Honda case manager and a request opened yesterday, so we'll just have to see what happens from here.

And then there is the Aveo. The Aveo I told my Dad to trade in months ago. The aveo he sat on for an entire winter (I stopped paying the payments in protest...so this is all HIS issue now). He found a guy who can fix the engine problem, but maybe it's a better plan to just replace the entire engine (he found one for $600), and then even after that the transmission is probably shot...or so we've been told.

My Dad's truck is a 1986 Chevy C-10...that sputters and mutters and acts like a contrary old man.

So really, what do you do?

Except maybe cry into your wine glass every night over the combined $552 in car payments your household is sending in every month for vehicles that DON'T WORK.

In all honesty, considering the circumstances, I'm pretty chipper. I've even been known to partake in a little manic laughing about it all over the last few days. Which is good, because the alternative in this situation is driving the honda off of a bridge...

(kidding) (kinda)

No comments: