Saturday, April 11, 2009

It Started with Paula Deen

It started with Paula Deen, as these things usually do.

biscuits and gravy 022

Her memoirs are interspersed with recipes. Which is where I've found my favorite take on homemade biscuits.

biscuits and gravy 002

Before I knew it I had a group of ingredients going.

biscuits and gravy 001

I have found the secret is to handle them minimally. Not too much mixing, not too much kneading, gently patting them out to cut.

biscuits and gravy 013

I cook them in a cast iron skillet. Partly because it seems like the Paula Deen thing to do, and partly because I just love cast iron skillets. My mom's skillets came from her mom. I want them some day.

biscuits and gravy 014

You have to indent the middle with your thumbprint. I don't know why.

biscuits and gravy 015

And whatever you do...DON'T FORGET THE BUTTER.

biscuits and gravy 016

Before you bake, brush them and brush them when they're done. It's pertinent.

Then I made gravy. I don't have a recipe for it. Just pan drippings from the sausage, a scoop of flour, lots of salt and pepper and a pan full of milk. I'm precise like that.

biscuits and gravy 018

And before I knew it, this was on my plate.

biscuits and gravy 019

Delicious.

Thanks Paula Deen. Smooches...

Basic Biscuit Recipe
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1 to 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter

  • Directions

    Preheat the oven to 450° F.

    In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the shortening with a fork until it looks like cornmeal. Add the milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly until well mixed.

    Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly two or three times.

    Roll out the dough with a floured rolling pin to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a 2-inch cutter.

    Place the biscuits in a greased iron skillet. Brush the biscuits with half the melted butter. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush the hot biscuits with the remaining butter. Slit the biscuits in half and ladle Sawmill Gravy over the hot biscuits.

    3 comments:

    kate said...

    very pioneer-woman-esque!!! i love it!!! :)
    and those biscuits look good...mmmm.

    paula deen should get the blame when my heart finally stops from all the butter she's influenced me to eat over the years!

    Katie said...

    I love Paula Deen. Probably because I grew up in the South, her food (and her, in general) make me nostalgic for home. The biscuits look AMAZING! I'm jealous. :)

    April said...

    K, thanks! This post was very much my homage to P.Dub. ;)

    Katie, thanks, I love Paula...as nutty as she is. And thank you for visiting my blog! :)