Thursday, April 2, 2009

Welcome to the Bluegrass

It's no secret I was a pretty obsessed UK fan in my youth. Like, stalking players-going to Lexington for my birthday-sitting in the highest seats in Rupp Arena just to be in the building, kind of obsessed.

And then I got to UK, and promptly ended my obsession sometime during my freshman year. In all fairness my interest was waning during the last couple of years of high school. I was tired of rivalries and defending my team. My roomie was from Chapel-Hill and was a Duke fan. Things happen. But regardless, I just kinda stopped keeping up with the goings on of the basketball team.

Until two years ago when Tubby left. Now, let me preface this by saying I loved Tubby. I still love Tubby. I've met him on several occasions and he was one of the nicest, most cordial people I've ever encountered. So I was sad when I heard he was leaving.

But I got a little obsessed with following who his replacement would be. (Once this whole fan thing is in your blood I guess it always has a chance of returning...or something.) I specifically became obsessed with whether his replacement would be Billy Donovan from Florida. I listened to talk radio nonstop for days and sifted through internet gossip about the situation.

Long story short: he didn't take the job, I couldn't warm up to Billy Gillispie and that was that. Two years went by with me again...not following a single game.

By now I'm sure you are all aware my beloved eventual alma mater (sounds better than my beloved perpetual life school that is draining my pocketbook faster than I can rationalize) has a new coach.

I've been somewhat obsessed (and I do use that term lightly, trust that I'm no longer stalking players) with the coaching search. Fearful that I'd be let down again like two years ago with Donovan. But today, I'm honestly thankful Donovan never came. John Calipari seems to be the best fit this university has seen since Pitino. It appears it is once again a great time to be a Cats fan.

Welcome to Kentucky Coach Cal!

NCAA/BASKETBALL
Photo Credit: REUTERS/ John Sommers II

Now maybe I can get back to my life and stop refreshing Cats Pause every five minutes. I still have walls to paint. And homework to do. And bills to pay. I've tested the theory, and have concluded: being an obsessed fan is easier when you're 14 and have nothing better to do.

No comments: