Monday, June 2, 2008

Sidetracked

I now interrupt this regular programming to bring you the following.

April's Vacation is in 10 FREAKING DAYS: A Soliloquy in Four Parts

To be, or not to be, that is the Question:
Whether 'tis Nobler in the minde to suffer

Oh who am I kidding? Apologies to Shakespeare. I can't write a soliloquy, no thank you to my 17 years of education.

17 years of school. Wow. Kind of frightening to see that written out.

Anyways.

So I have 10 days until vacation. I'm going to call this pre-vacation. Because my butt is doing nothing in the next 10 days that isn't vacation related. I'll have to visit a dozen stores, twice. Then at some point I'll have to do a bunch of laundry. Board the dog...

Okay, I totally stopped writing this after I said "board the dog" because OH CRAP, I had forgotten to call and sign Jack up for boarding. After an intense 5 minutes on hold they assured me he would have a spot for 10 days this month. I have to take him tomorrow to get his yearly shots.

And now I'm all weepy about leaving him for 10 days. This is ultimately the toughest part of leaving. While the girls are small enough to come with us, and the cats are responsible enough to stay home alone, Jack is neither. I hope his neurotic self will be okay without us. I'm always reminded of something I read about dogs once, if they can't be with the ones they love...they love the ones they're with. Hopefully that will hold true.

Okay, I'm composed now.

Really I should be happy. Last year Jack stayed the week with my Aunt and Uncle. While with them, their friend managed to latch her grubby paws into my dog. They "bonded" all week.
And the friend fed Jack PURINA BENEFUL. Because she didn't think my dog food was "good enough".

Umm. Okay.

Feeding one of my dogs Purina is the equivalent of a vegetarian's kid being given meat at daycare. Or Jon and Kate's 8 being fed something non-organic.

For a week after we got Jack back home he had rancid gas. And his coat stunk. And he was OILY. Like, that's weird.

All because some old lady thought her $8 bag of Beneful was better than my $28 bag of grain free, grass-fed, organic kibble.

At least the vet will feed my dog whatever I send with him. And they'll walk him. And love on him.

In fact. I'm feeling better already.

If he can't be with the one he loves, at least he's not eating beneful.

5 comments:

kate said...

i've never seen anyone put so much preparation into a vacation! you are going to be the most ready beach-goer ever! hehe :) hope you get everything done and it all goes smoothly for you!

April said...

I'm a planner. It's a sickness.

You have to remember, I'm not traveling with a group of young 20-somethings.

I'm traveling with a 50 year old with medical problems, a kid and 2 dogs. Inevitably a bit more planning is required.

SassyCassie said...

I've been meaning to ask you where you get your organic dog food. Puppy is smelly.

April said...

Feeder's Supply. They have a huge selection of foods that are really awesome. Their staff is really helpful. But my tidbit of advice before you go would be stay away from Science Diet, it's overpriced for it's worth. And I'm not a fan of Eukanuba either. Any of the rest, you can't go wrong with IMO.

April said...

Here's a good website to reference: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/