Monday, September 22, 2008

Jesus Train

Okay, housekeeping items first.

To the three of you who left a comment on my Hillary post, thank you. I want you all to know if you ever get to meet one of your greatest inspirations/admirations/general-think-of-highly people in life I will ignore party politics and opinions to leave you a comment about how awesome that is and I'm happy you got to do it. Which generally means if you decide your life's ambition is meet George W. Bush or Satan, both of whom I'm personally opposed to, I would still tell you how AWESOME that is. And I'd leave a bunch of exclamation marks.

Now, on to other things.

My new neighbor, to replace old neighbor I hated, is also a preacher. Apparently a preacher that does well for himself as they are renting the house next door until their new McMansion is finished. In all fairness, I have not met them yet so I have no real reason to dislike them. I'm sure they are nice people.

Probably. I guess.

What I still don't understand. And perhaps someone reading can help me with this. How do preachers these days become so FILTHY STINKIN' RICH?

Ministers of God, becoming rich off of the word of God?

I know I'm not the authority on all things Jesus. I'm willing to admit to this much. But what little I do know makes me uncomfortable about preachers getting rich off of his name. That churches become mini business corporations, mini TAX EXEMPT business corporations. That members of these churches scrape up money to give to the church so that their preacher can buy two 42 inch flat screen televisions, all new stainless steel appliances, brand new gas guzzling vehicles and several trips a year to the beach.

Off of Jesus!

Were the Apostles rich? I don't really know.

What I do know is through living next door to these men of God and seeing their other men of God friends visit with their new golf clubs and their Tiger Woods' outfits I've started to wonder if I missed the bus. Perhap I should have hopped aboard the Jesus train and rode it all the way to the front door of my new McMansion.

I just don't get it. Maybe I'm too old school to even try. But prosperity gospel confuses me.

No comments: