Tuesday, December 16, 2008

We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.

Let's talk cookies, shall we?

I've been in a cookie mood lately, I think it's Christmas. Christmas is a big cookie eatin' time, isn't it?

Today I wanted something chewy, and crispy. Which, if you think about it, is kind of a fine line to try and mix in one cookie. Aren't they usually one or the other? I'm difficult I suppose. Which is probably why I'm a cake and pie person.

Who does one turn to when searching for such a cookie? Ha, duh! MARTHA!

Martha should be the Queen of America as far as I'm concerned.

Buttery Pecan Rounds

I omitted the halve of pecan on the top of the cookies, because I'm cheap. (I don't have Martha's money, obvs.)

I chilled the dough a bit so it was easier to scoop.

And I baked them on a nonstick cookie sheet. Which is totally necessary unless you have actual parchment paper or Silpats. Because let me tell you, these things WILL stick.

Follow my rules and I promise they are super easy and super tasty. The perfect combination of crispy cookie on the edges and chewy in the middle. Not to mention, who doesn't love a nice huge flat cookie?

butter pecan cookies 013

Next up I tackled super easy peanut butter cookies. I've blogged about this recipe before, but I can't find it. If you've heard this before, pretend you haven't.

Magical Peanut Butter Cookies from Paula Deen

These cookies are so insanely easy, and actually pretty tasty. They are not your usual peanut butter cookies, they have a bit more of a peanut butter fudge taste to them. But I can almost guarantee you have all of the ingredients needed in your pantry right now and they take 5 minutes at most to whip up the batter. You have to try them, at the very least, for the novelty of making such an easy cookie.

butter pecan cookies 014

And finally, my parents have been married for almost 26 years. Have known each other for almost 28 and for that many years my Mom has been trying and failing to make fudge that somehow emulates how my Dad's mother made it back in like the 60s. She's tried every method you could think of and it's never right. A few weeks ago I tried this recipe, and surprise! It was exactly the fudge he'd been wanting all this time:

Festive Fudge

Yes, all of those candy thermometers and stirring over hot stoves and as it turns out my grandmother's fudge was nothing more than sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips. We, really, seriously, should have known. Because bless her heart, but my Mamaw is not domestic.

butter pecan cookies 017

No comments: