Thursday, August 14, 2008

Comfort Food, or Something Like It

This afternoon I cooked this for dinner. It was delicious and simple and the most comforting thing I've ate in a long time. Something about this milder weather, the dying grass, the pumpkins growing like crazy is making me long for a nice chilly fall. I'm so ready for October. Which is always weird for a summer lover like myself to say. But it's true. I'm still trying to figure out how I can get to Asheville while the leaves are changing, anybody up for a trip?

My Dad turns 50 on Saturday. 50! My Dad. It's just kind of odd to think of him as that age. Not because I think it's old or anything. But because when you are a kid and you think of your Dad turning 50, you tend to think 'wow, he'll be so old'. But since I myself feel barely grown up it doesn't so much feel that way anymore. At any rate, Happy Birthday Dad, even though he may never read this. Another year I wasn't sure I'd get. And while we butt heads and he drives me absolutely batty, I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Seriously.

I mean, mostly. I'm pretty sure.

Okay, well maybe for a billionaire Dad, but he'd totally understand. He's awesome like that.

In other recurring news, my Olympics obsession is raging onward. I don't think I've ever been this 'into' the Olympics. But something about them is so comforting and patriotic and fascinating. Each night I find myself captivated by the weirdest sports ever. I love that.

And this isn't so bad to watch each evening:


You know, comforting and patriotic.

No comments: