Sunday, January 4, 2009

Which Came First? The Chicken or The Egg?

Each year I come up with another hair brained scheme in January, I guess to help me through the terrible winter. Last year it was planning on growing a bunch of food and getting all organic, this year I'm taking my chickens dreams and bringing them to the forefront.

Really I should have majored in Ag Science or something, you'd think I wanted to be a farmer someday.

Tonight I researched how difficult it would be to hatch my own chickens for previously mentioned chicken coup. First I found a place: Meyer Hatchery, that sells fertilized chicken eggs at a reasonable price. And they offer free shipping! Anyone who offers free shipping gets my business.

Then I found this video:



If you watch the rest of this guy's chicken videos (as I did), you'll find out that his homemade chicken incubator actually managed to hatch said chickens. Which is how I became sold on the idea. How much simpler can you get?

So I don't need a $100+ incubator, the coop won't be difficult either (just lots of chicken wire, nothing fancy). I've even thought as far as setting up at the local farmer's market on Saturday mornings and selling cartons of fresh eggs.

Guys...I think I'm going to be a chicken farmer.

(Disclaimer: I reserve all rights to deciding not to be a chicken farmer at some point in the future. So, don't hold me to any of this until you...ya know...actually see some pictures of eggs and/or chickens. But tonight? Totally rad idea. I'm going with it.)

No comments: