Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hippie Style

I've still been thinking a lot about the way I eat. In reading Marion Nestle's book "What to Eat" over the span of two weeks I've really convinced myself that I'm slowly but surely beginning to make the right choices.

Mostly this has involved cooking at home, making everything from scratch to avoid overprocessed junk, and eating in moderation. I'm still drinking coke, but I swear that is harder to quit than smoking...or heroin.

We used to eat out nearly every night of the week, but since the year began we only occasionally enjoy take out. Usually a pizza or some chinese food. But even the chinese food is better from home, and pizza is just as good on my own pizza pan.

I'm starting my seeds this weekend, tons of various fruits and vegetables will be gracing the soil of my backyard this summer. I'm determined to have a green thumb...dammit. It will happen. First obstacle is starting the seeds. And if that fails, all of the good garden centers will have them nice and mature come May. ;)

But perhaps the biggest "crazy" idea I've had yet is...wait for it...trust...it's worth it....CHICKENS. No joke. Two hens would give a family enough natural, organic eggs for a week. My Dad has piles of wood in our backyard just waiting to be used. I've been researching designs and plans. And who knows...I might just build a coop.

Fran Drescher said on Rosie's blog the other day about getting back to nature and away from chemicals that "everything old is new again". And she's right. Why should I be wasting my money on "diet foods" and all natural things like "granola bars" when the healthier option would be making my own? It's all about becoming sustainable.

It shall be an interesting summer for sure.

Look for me next year...living on the commune with the hippies. I can feel it coming.

2 comments:

kate said...

i love that idea[chickens]! i wish our townhouse's yard would support a garden, i'd love to have my own little veggie patch...free AND organic!

i agree with you about the cooking at home...although i think i almost do it to a fault sometimes. i.e. if i make something at home i feel like it's justifiably healthy because it's homecooked, even if it's ridiculously sinful! haha

p.s. some days, the whole hippie commune idea doesn't sound too bad honestly

April said...

You could always do a few things in pots. Last year we had tomatoes and squash in big plastic pots on our patio. I'm not sure if you like those two, but many veggies are easy to grow in containers.