Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Yes We Can

In the summer of '04, sometime in July, I placed myself under self imposed exile. Much like Benezir Bhutto did in the 90s. I can't really remember the exact situation that led to the exile except I had been spending nearly every night of the week out with my "friends" for the first time in my life, hadn't been coming home until 1 or 2 in the morning and had missed various important family occasions like...my mom's birthday.

I had relished in freedom and in the process deeply hurt my mother's feelings. I suppose that's the root of what landed me in exile. Because my parents never grounded us, took away anything from us, placed us in time out or any other method of discipline save for a nice talking to (dad) or silent treatment (mom) and a look of disappointment, it was up to me to punish myself.

And punish I did. I told my parents I wasn't leaving the house for a week, unless they needed errands run. I grounded myself. Except, my fascination with words turned the whole thing into "Self Imposed Exile". As Candace can attest to, she brought me a bag of candy that week, I really did do this. Just so you know I'm not making this up.

During my week of exile, as other friends were calling and unable to understand why I'd punish myself, I turned my focus and attention to the Democratic National Convention. I didn't have cable or satellite then, so every evening and night I'd tune in my television to the PBS channel and watch that evening's keynote address.

There were a myriad of speakers that week, wonderful orations from the likes of Al Gore, Mr. and Mrs. Clinton, Teddy Kennedy, and the ticket of both Johns: Kerry and Edwards.

But one gentleman caught my attention that evening with his inspiring speech of regaining the country as a whole, that there could no longer be red states and blue states, but a United State.

I had goosebumps on my arms, the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I'm fairly certain I cried. I also proclaimed, right then and there, out loud to myself in my room of exile, that I had just watched what was sure to become the first black president of the United States of America.

Tonight I watched that same man, stand on a stage in Houston, Texas after winning yet another state (Wisconsin) in his quest for the White House. And while I am a Hillary supporter, while I'm still loving this race, I have no problems admitting that Barack Obama is a Change I Can Believe In. My mom, a very diehard Hillary supporter, even spoke up with her own, "Yes We Can".

The torch is being passed. The future is looking bright. And this country is awakening from a hard, cold 8 years. A change is on the horizon, can you see it yet?

No comments: