Thursday, May 15, 2008

Confused and Consumed

When I was a little girl my Aunt B used to carry around a huge Canon SLR everywhere she went. For years and years she was the go to photographer of the family. Back in the days of rolls upon rolls of film, I would watch her go about her business. Carefully she would frame the faces of each family member, sneak up on conversations capturing the most intimate of shots. A gentle laugh amongst friends here, a child's innocence there.

I was a girl enamoured. As soon as I was old enough my parents let me use their gigantic point and shoot. And when I was 13 they purchased me my first, in a long line, Fuji. I loved that camera, carefully taking it with me anywhere I went. It was the camera I used to capture all of my UK basketball pictures from my obsessed youth.

I resisted the digital age. For a long time, when everyone else was using measly 3 megapixel cameras to produce grainy shots I was refusing to give in to this new media. That is, until my freshman year of college. Before my first trip to Sanibel I decided I absolutely had to have a digital camera. So my Mom bought a 4 megapixel Samsung.

It's was a decent little camera. I can't complain since it did all of things I ever asked it to. And when it ceased to suffice my needs I bought the Fuji S700 I have now.

For the past year I've loved that camera as though it were my child. I had never owned such a wonderful piece of equipment. And from the first sharp, color saturated picture to the last I've adored its capability.

For what it is, it's been a fantastic camera.

But I feel limited in what I can pull off with it now. The biggest limitation is indoor shots. They are, quite simply, horrendous. No matter how well lit the room is, it just can't manage a good indoor shot. And I hate using flash. So, I just don't take inside shots. Except for the ones I have to.

So, if you've been following me on Twitter you'll already know that I've been in the market for a D-SLR for days now. I've decided to forego the macbook for now and instead spend that extra budget money on an SLR. Vacation is my biggest picture taking time of my entire year and to commemorate being back on the island (ugh, miss it so much!!!) I really want to have an SLR in my hands this year.

Which, hello! Totally means I'm running out of time to figure this out.

I've managed to make my head, literally, hurt from all of the camera reviews I've spent hours reading online. I've been tempted by Olympus and Sony flashing their shiny features in the corner, confused by Nikon and Canon and have found myself waist deep in "Camera Wars".

I don't know what I'm going to do. Hopefully a trip to Best Buy tomorrow to hold the Nikon and Canon in my hand will help solve the situation. Maybe.

But at least I've blogged about it. I like to keep my blog abreast of the situation.

(Side note: I live with a 13 year old boy, abreast is a funny word in this house.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try this site - it can give you pretty accurate recommendations for different kinds of cameras written by experts. There are tons of camera review sites out there but this one focuses on getting you to the top 2-3 cameras for you quickly and easily.

http://www.bestinclass.com/digital-cameras