Sunday, April 27, 2008

Before and After

I worked hard all weekend long to finally reap the rewards of my little backyard makeover project. On one hand I can count the number of things I've planted in my lifetime, they all happened on Saturday.

I am so thrilled with the end result. Not because I think it's some kind of masterpiece, but because it's all a product of my hard work. It's a very satisfying and rewarding thing to be done with.

Here is the before, a tiny space that housed two shepherd hooks with feeders on them. All in all it worked wonderfully as a space to attract the birds.



However.

This:



Is so much more amazing.

When everything starts really taking root and spreading out I imagine it's only going to get more amazing. I can't wait.

And yes, I sat on the patio waiting for the first birds to arrive after I filled the feeders. It took about 5 minutes!

The Details:
  • The tree is a flowering dogwood, which according to my research does well in containers.
  • We can't plant the tree there due to a lateral field in the backyard, so the only option was container planting.
  • There is a dogwood bush in the back, on each side of that a compact holly.
  • The white shrubs on each end are azaleas.
  • All of the flowers, except for the red petunias, are perrenials...including English Daisies, Salvias and others I can't recall the names of.
  • Clematis is the only thing missing, it will grow up the trellis.
  • Oh and I suppose Mulch is missing as well, I simply haven't bought it yet.

1 comment:

kate said...

gorgeous! it looks like it would be such a peaceful place to just sit down and enjoy the sunset.