Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Key Lime Pie

Big white sail, red sunset
Lobster tail and don't forget
My, my, my - my key lime pie
--Kenny Chesney

One of my favorite pies is Key Lime. I believe it's my inner Jimmy Buffett to which I owe this one. And one of my favorite memories ever is eating Key Lime Pie on the beach this past summer.

The other night I was watching "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" on Food Network. The diner he visited that night was famous for their Key Lime Pies and I salivated as the woman making the pie remarked on the "copious amounts of whip cream" she puts on her version to offset its tartness.

For some reason the thought of copious amounts of whip cream stuck with me. However the idea of making my own pie never crossed my mind until today, when this magazine (another freebie, by the way!) showed up in my mailbox.

I immediately flipped through to the back and found the recipe. It was easy: using only 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup of key lime juice and 3 egg yolks, which you bake for 15 minutes and chill. However I'm not crazy about merengue.

But HELLO, no problem! How could I forget? Insert COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF WHIP CREAM.

Tada.

No comments: