Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Accomplished (Seriously, A Dream Come True)

I woke up to one of those mornings where everything that can go wrong will. I got up too late, I had an exam that I hadn't studied enough for at 9:30, I was moody, everyone was annoying me and I couldn't find my jeans.
But most of all I was pissed that my 9:30 exam was going to clash with a 10:30 rally in Frankfort featuring Bill Clinton.

My one chance, or at least the only chance I am currently aware of, in which to see President Clinton speak. And I had to focus on effing Biology.

Somewhere around the 3rd or 4th light before the parking garage at school I had an epiphany. Perhaps it was the radio people talking about going to see The Prez in Bourbon County that did it, perhaps it was my mother's subtle urging that I should really try to make it to Paris. Other classes be damned.

And so I did. Except I was wearing sweatpants because, as mentioned, I couldn't find my jeans this morning. AND I didn't have my beautiful camera with me, because when I left my house I had no intentions of seeing Mr. President today.

I may or may not (totally did) get lost in Paris. As I later discovered it was a straight shot to the place where he was speaking. At any rate it added a good half hour off of my arrival time. As did the trip to Target because I had to buy a crappy disposible camera.

Upon arrival at the Bourbon County Fairgrounds I discovered I was late and according to event coordinators and the FREAKIN' SECRET SERVICE nobody else would be allowed in the building.

Which was fine, I figured I'd stick around with a few other folks and at least watch his motorcade arrive.

He ended up running nearly 2 hours behind due to a large crowd in Frankfort. A few people left the venue, tired of waiting. And around 2:00 the SECRET SERVICE informed us they would let about 20 of us "motorcade waiters" into the building. I was #18 of the 20 they counted out to go in.

Since we arrived late we were shuffled in a side door, which...to the chagrin of those already inside, offered us prime Clinton watching spots. We proceeded to listen to a speech from a Clinton Pledged Superdelegate and after that, former Miss America, Heather French Henry. Then it happened.

The most charismatic, surreal, unbelieveable politician I've ever laid my eyes on arrived.

Let me tell you this, everything you've ever heard in relation to Bill Clinton in person is true. He commands an audience like no other, is well spoken and has this way of looking into a room full of people and making you think for a split second that he is speaking only to you.

I swear we made eye contact like twice.

And I'm not lying when I tell you he is sexy. Is he the most attractive man ever? No. But sexy he is. I totally got it.

I also got his message about his wife. I think she will end up doing well in this state based on what I heard from other voters. He gave solid reasons why she is the better candidate. And I, for one, completely agree.

But politics aside I want to get to a much more personal notion here.

There are many things I want to see and accomplish in this life. Writing most of my 100 Things To Do Before I Go list this weekend has really helped me to set solid goals for myself and outline exactly what I want from my short time on this earth.

And I wasn't kidding about #76 this morning. It has always been a dream of mine to specifically see President Clinton speak in person. It was icing on the cake to get to shake his hand today. I can honestly say today's experience has made my year.


1 down, 99 more to go.
( http://www.kentucky.com/263/story/356517.html ) That is a story and actual video from the event I was at in Paris.

No comments: