Sunday, March 9, 2008

Slightly Insane, but Cheaply So

Before I started couponing last year I thought all you did was clip what you might buy from that weeks inserts and maybe save 50 cents here and there. I had all of the misperceptions about it, that it doesn't save you much and that you end up buying things you don't need.

I was so wrong.

An evening of watching Food Network led me to The Grocery Game where I learned couponing means saving the coupons until they expire and maximizing their value in conjunction with sales and other store offers. I'm not lying when I say it was all a concept that never crossed my mind before.

I don't have much luck with couponing food items. We are fairly picky and often never wanted to eat what might be on sale that week. Which is why I've learned to save in other ways with food, like having a well stocked freezer or cooking from scratch more often.

However, I have tons of luck with couponing at drug stores, namely Rite Aid and Walgreens and the occasional CVS. Not to mention couponing for me works as a great endorphin kicker, I love the rush of saving money. It's sounds utterly ridiculous, but I'm not known for being uber cool so it's okay I guess.

Here is this week's booty:

Rite Aid:
  • Milkbones
  • Aussie Shampoo and Conditioner
  • Kitchen Sponges
  • 2 Oral B Pulsar Toothbrushes

Total Before Coupons and Sales: $30.63
Total After Coupons and Sales: $11.55



Walgreens:

  • 3 boxes of Puffs Tissues
  • Box of Kotex
  • 2 bags of Chex Mix
  • 1 Garnier Haircolor
  • 2 packages of Trident Gum

Total Before Coupons and Sales: $23.53
Total After Coupons and Sales: $4.95

No comments: