Friday, March 7, 2008

Takin' on the Bakin'...or Cookin'

I fully admit to using cake mixes from the standards, Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker. I do usually use "The Cake Doctor", a neat little book my Mom bought years ago to make a spin on them. But occasionally I prefer taking the time to create a cake from scratch. It is also admittedly cheaper to do so and probably better (what an oxymoron) for us. And every little bit counts I suppose when you see the rising grocery prices.

Last year I made the best $17 purchase ever when I picked up the new edition of "The Joy of Cooking". I highly recommend it to anyone who spends any amount of time at all in the kitchen because it's like a bible with nearly every recipe staple imaginable. (However, don't pay the money I did and find it at Half Price Books)

Today was, of course, one of those stay in inside and do something to take your mind off of the nastiness outside kind of days. And I knew immediately what I wanted to do: cook.

But I had no idea what I wanted to make. After a quick perusal through "The Joy" I decided on a Chocolate "Texas Sheet Cake" and a small pan of Fettucini Alfredo to use as a side dish with our Ribeyes and Green Beans planned for dinner.

This is the Texas Sheet Cake recipe, straight out of the book:

I whisked together my flour (using the natural Hodgens), sugar, salt and baking soda.


Mmm...butter. We still buy margarine because Dad likes it and he doesn't need the cholesterol, but I've been using real butter *very sparingly* because it's natural and doesn't have the chemicals and crap that margarine does. Plus, for baking it's just a better medium.

Melt butter in a pan with a cup of water, 1/2 cup of oil, 1/2 cup of cocoa powder and bring to a boil.
Add to the flour mixture and just stir until shiny and mixed. (No mixer required! Yay!)
Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, although mine took closer to 30.

Mmm...cake. Let cool on a rack. Stick in freezer as you become impatient.


Frost with icing of choice. I used a really easy "Quick Chocolate Butter Icing", also from "The Joy of Cooking.

The next thing I attemped was the Alfredo. Just because I love it and have always wanted to try and make my own. "The Joy of Cooking" recipe was so freaking easy, I couldn't resist.

However, I modified. Bowtie pasta instead of fettucini because I had none. And, Half and Half instead of whole cream. And only a half a stick of butter because I made less.


You cook the pasta, drain, I cooked about 8 ounces. Melt the butter (1/2 stick), add the pasta to the melted butter, add cream (Half and Half 1/2 cup), 1/2 cup of parmesan. Mix together, salt and pepper to taste.

Easiest thing...ev-er. Will definitely do again.

No comments: