Thursday, March 20, 2008

Because She Loses Motivation Quite Often

So I haven't talked diet in a while. I suppose I have done that thing where I let life sidetrack my progress. And despite my efforts to jump back on the bandwagon I'm sad to admit it just hasn't happened yet. I think it's just easy and complacent to sit back and not pop in that workout DVD or spend time on the elliptical or drive 3 minutes to the park.

And that's where I'm at: complacency.

Most of the time I'm okay with being a Size 16 American. I really am. I don't think it's productive to spend time in this life, as short as it is, hating my body or the way I look. And it sounds ridiculous but I can't imagine myself with a skinny body, I just don't think it's built to be that way. However I do wish things more more toned up. Namely the flabbiness on my stomach and hips. Other than that, my legs are fairly strong (all that flip flop walking ;) ), I don't hate my arms and I'm fine with my face. Which is why my refusal to hop back into the working out thing pisses me off. I know that just a little everyday will go a long way to making me feel better and more in shape.

I bought myself 2 dresses on Tuesday. They are cotton, from Target and totally comfortable and cute. They are casual dresses, the kind you just throw on with a pair of flip flops and walk out the door. Along with the other things I've bought and the stuff I already owned I'm really loving my Spring/Summer wardrobe.

And to tell you the truth, I'd actually hate to lose a ton of weight and not fit into any of it! But if it all just fit a little more comfortably that would be awesome.

Which is why, starting next week, when I'll have 12 weeks until we leave for Savannah and Sanibel, I'm going to stop the cokes, eat 300 less calories per day (which honestly is, at the very least, my coke intake) and work out 3-5 days a week. Hopefully I'll be able to lose a pound or two each week and by the time we leave out of that driveway for Savannah I'll feel more fit and ready for that walking ghost tour and later, our time on the beach.

Ross Mathews from the Tonight Show really inspired me a couple weeks ago when he talked about the "little changes that add up" in terms of weight loss. Get moving, eat less and a pound or two a week is possible.

I can do it.

I just need to get more vigilant and motivated about it.

So I found out that the Coach Outlet in Fort Myers, right before you hop on the Sanibel Causeway, is having a "Super Saturday Sale" the day I roll into town. If I stick to my guns on this weight loss thing I've told myself I can get another purse in Fort Myers.

Seriously, I think I found my motivation.

2 comments:

kate said...

i think i have the same problem, in that i finally learned how to love/accept my body...which is good, except that now i don't have the self-hatred as motivation to get skinny! hahaha

i've decided i want to get healthy, and focus on doing things to treat my body the way it deserves instead of just trying to lose weight (i.e. eating healthily, getting exercise, etc)...i don't know, it's really hard for me to maintain momentum on this stuff because (like you) i love to cook, and for some reason when i'm cooking i frequently end up making stuff with sticks of butter or something equally unhealthy - and i don't feel guilty about that!

but yeah...i just need to learn how to treat my body the way it deserves to be treated i guess, instead of being totally lazy and nomming everything in sight! lol

(agh this is a mile long, sorry!)

April said...

Self hatred as motivation! haha

The thing is, that never even worked...I usually just started eating more to drown my sorrows.

The cooking is the hard part. I never know what to fix and always feel like I should just be eating baked chicken all the time. Which...boring.

I guess I'm going to try and eat better at lunch and breakfast and just portion control dinner.

Like 1/2 a stick of butter instead of a whole! ;)

I mean, that should totally work.