Tuesday, March 18, 2008

CVS Booty

CVS is a bit complicated to learn. Or at least it was for me. In the end, once I figured out how to work it I discovered it was both simple and completely awesome. And proof that this couponing thing is really and truly a valuable budget saver to learn. Why spend money on that laundry detergent you need when you'd rather buy a new pair of shoes? (Not that I would advocate blowing money on shoes or anything. ;) )

So a great place to really find the info on CVS is to read this primer: http://www.moneysavingmom.com/2007/09/cvs-101.html

Aside from that the easiest way for me to explain it is this:

CVS offers "Extra Care Bucks" on specific items in their ad each week. You'll purchase something for X amount of dollars and in return you'll get a printed coupon on the end of your receipt for X amount of dollars to use the next time you come in.

Once you spend an initial amount on your first trip you then start "rolling" your ECBs. If you are interested in learning, I promise that above link explains it better than I do.

I just got back into the CVS habit last week. I purchased: 18 count Alavert, Crest Pro-Health Mouthwash, and Garnier Hair Product last Thursday. I spent $9.71 and got $8.49 in ECBs in return.

This week I returned with the $8.49 in ECBs and a $4 off $20 purchase coupon from CVS that I received in an email. I bought:

2 Glade Air Fresheners--.99 each *minus* $1 off coupon
1 Glade Candle--$2.99 *minus* $1 off coupon
1 Glade Wisp Flameless Candle--$7.99 *minus* $5 off coupon
1 Fab Laundry Detergent--$1.99
1 Bic Soleil Razor--$5.99 *minus* $2 off coupon
2 Plastic Easter Egg Bags--.99 each
TOTAL: $13.92
MINUS: $8.49 ECBs
MINUS: $4 off $20 purchase

Total Spent after tax and deductions: $2.06
ECBs for next week: $7



1 comment:

kate said...

april i think i need to hire you as my personal budget coach...i am so jealous of your skills! hahah