Sunday, March 23, 2008

Forgive Your Enemies, But Never Forget Their Names

My cousin gave birth this morning to her 3rd (and final) boy. Weighing in at 7 pounds, little Braden Patrick joined his big brothers, Nathaniel and Dylan. And early this morning after we got the news that she was in labor and we didn't know his name I remarked that she'd probably call him some form of Aiden. Everyone is naming their kid some version of Aiden: Braden, Caden, Jayden, Hayden. Did I miss any?

The Top Ten Boys Names of 2007 were:

1. Aiden
2. Braden
3. Kaden
4. Ethan
5. Caleb
6. Noah
7. Jaden
8. Connor
9. Landon
10. Jacob
and Hayden made the list at #54

Notice a trend?

I was at the grocery when Braden finally made his way into the world. My mom called me and said, "what was that name you hate?"

Sometimes, without even noticing it, I experience this smug superiority in regards to baby names. If I like a name someone has picked out I don't waste time in complementing them and sharing how much I like it. On the other hand, if I hate the name, I struggle with my reactions. My nose twitches, my mouth frowns. It's darn near uncontrollable.

I can respect baby names for what they are: an intensely personal decision. Which is why I keep my opinions to myself usually. But in the interest of disclosure, I suppose my issue lies with a name's popularity. Especially when it becomes noticable that everyone around me is naming their kid the same thing. A few years ago everyone named their girl Madison. Years before it was Ashley. It's the same reason I went to school with classes full of Jessicas.

And now it's any form of Aiden.

Wake me up when it's over and we all move on to the next big name trend please.

Also in the interest of full disclosure, my favorite baby names, so you can probably cringe the way I do over the Aiden names. haha

Girls:
*Harper
*Talley
*Ellis
*Sloane
*Norah

Boys
*Jude
*Gabriel
*Sullivan
*Julian

Yes, I like nice, crusty, Eastern Seaboard names. The kind you'd hear yelled on a beach at "The Cape". You know I've always wanted to be a Kennedy... ;)

1 comment:

kate said...

aghh i feel the exact same way! and since my name is katie i feel justified in hating on the trend names because i am one of them ughhhhh

i also hate mckayla (all variations), and emma.

and it pisses me off when names i picked a long time ago (jack, reilly, ava) become trend names because then if i use them i will look like a trend follower when THEY are the ones who ripped me off!

apparently this is a big pet peeve of mine because i am getting really worked up, geez